If you are planning a trip to Florida for a ‘cannabis tour’ then you might have to hold on! As there are many laws which got updated within a few years bank hence you need to be aware of them to make sure you don’t involve in any legal issues.
Also, Florida has been a state where cannabis legislation is always a topic to debate. Therefore, to know about everything related to cannabis in Florida, you are at the perfect place. This guide will be covering the historical journey of cannabis to the latest laws that are in action in Florida.
So, let’s get started:
Is Cannabis Legal in Florida in 2021?
Cannabis in Florida is legal for only medical usage. That means recreational cannabis has been illegal in the region. One cannot use marijuana for personal enjoyment within the state. Also, the state has considered 20 grams of marijuana possession as a misdemeanor offense which is punishable by up to one year in prison along with a fine of up to $1000. In addition to that, one can also lose his/her driving license.
With that much restriction in the state, does cannabis exist?
Well, yes! medical marijuana is allowed in the state, the government has given certain guidelines to be followed by the patients in need, which we will discuss in detail later. Also, different counties have marijuana law reforms to reduce penalties in non-medical cannabis usage and possession.
Well, medical marijuana allowance in Florida was not easily implemented. The state was unable to approve the medical marijuana program in the year 2014 when the bill was approved by the Supreme Court of Florida but failed on the ballot with 57.6% of the votes (To win 60% is required as supermajority). Additionally, many circumstances were created for the unfavored result.
In short, in the year 2021, you can only get medical cannabis existence in Florida.
History of the State With Cannabis
Historically Florida has been a beautiful place where people used to be aware of hemp, cannabis stuffs from the very earlier time of its existence. However, during the federal prohibition of cannabis, while the global trend was going on, Florida also made cannabis away from its residents.
However, the positive changes in marijuana legislation took placed from the year 2014 when Governor Rick Scott signed a bill allowing low THC and high CBD cannabis oil produced from the strain of cannabis such as Charlotte’s Web. Considering the history of the state, it was the very first time when the state got positive changes in laws for marijuana lovers in the region.
Later on, people also tried to make whole medical cannabis legalize however, it was failed in the first attempt of the same year i.e., 2014. Some circumstances made this attempt unsuccessful while the bill was approved by the Supreme Court of Florida.
Ultimately, medical marijuana in Florida got legalized in the year 2016 during the second attempt for legalization. This time the law won by 71% of the votes and was approved on November 8, 2016. This law allowed physicians to recommend cannabis treatment for several medical conditions. That means one can only access medical cannabis after the doctor’s prescription. Additionally, the qualifying medical conditions were also defined by the authorities.
Apart from this, in the initial state of the medical marijuana law, patients were not permitted to smoking. That means only edibles, oils, sprays, pills, and vaping were allowed. However, from March 2019 the government took off this restriction after several proposals.
Overall, in short, the cannabis history of Florida state has been quite rich with the different adaption of cannabis laws. Well, if you residing in the state in 2021, you can have medical cannabis access without any issues.
Current Laws in Action in the State
Although the history of the state has been filled with different proposals of marijuana bills and laws, you must be aware of the following laws that are in action since the implementation. Also, some guidelines to help you know these laws better:
- Compassionate Medical Cannabis Act in 2014 permitted first the use of high CBD oils in the state. Well, after medical legalization residents were free to access cannabis after the doctor’s recommendation. Currently, this law doesn’t make any difference though it is in action in the state.
- By the Right to Try Act in 2016, people were permitted to try out cannabis only with some serious medical issues. However, this legislation change was made before medical legalization. Currently one can take part in different therapies as per his/her consent, however, regarding medical cannabis, one can directly get prescribed from the doctor.
- Florida Amendment 2 is currently in action in the state which ultimately made medical cannabis exist. To access cannabis, one has to get a recommendation from a Physician along with qualifying medical conditions, which are as follows:
- Cancer, epilepsy, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Crohn’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, chronic non-malignant pain caused by a qualifying medical condition or that originates from a qualifying medical condition, or other comparable debilitating medical condition.
- Apart from medical cannabis in Florida, different counties have reforms to decriminalize some possession of cannabis and reduce penalties, which you must be aware of through the local authorities. Although we will be talking about some counties further in this guide.
Possession, Cultivation, And Consumption
Recreational possession is restricted in the state. Medical patients are allowed to possess up to 2.5 ounces of cannabis. Additionally, one must not have more than 35 days of cannabis supply either for medical treatment. Also, a person with a medical illness cannot possess more than 4 ounces of smokable cannabis. Well, there are different guidelines for the legal representatives under which they are not permitted to possess more than a 70-day supply of cannabis at any time.
As said earlier that different counties have marijuana reforms to decrease the penalties. So, some of the counties have made the following changes:
- Some cities and counties that have approved decriminalization in its region are Cocoa Beach, Miami Beach, West Palm Beach, Hallandale Beach, Port Richey, Volusia County, and Sarasota.
- Broward County – This county has decriminalized 20 grams of cannabis possession for its residents with a $100 fine for a first offense, $250 for the second, and $500 for the third offense.
- Tampa and Orlando – These two cities have almost similar penalties for marijuana possession of up to 20 grams. Fine ranges from $75 to $300 depending upon the repetition of the offense.
Cultivating marijuana for personal use or for medical need both are illegal in Florida. Therefore, the residents are permitted to access cannabis from only dispensaries in case of medical need after the physician’s recommendation.
Consuming cannabis in public places in Florida is illegal. Also, one cannot indulge in cannabis activity around the school, university campuses, parks, public transport. Driving under the influence of cannabis is strictly prohibited and can lead the offender to huge fines along with a legal trial.
Also, medical patients under the age of 18 are not permitted to consume cannabis via smoking until he or she is not suffering from a terminal condition.
In a nutshell, medical cannabis is permitted in Florida and one can consume that in private space only.
Medical Marijuana in Florida
Medical marijuana law was approved on November 8, 2016, and since then cannabis for medical use is allowed in Florida. Though before legalizing medical usage, there was one attempt that was not successful before. However, for medical marijuana enthusiasts, the authorities have permitted terminally-ill patients to use cannabis under the Right to Try act from 25 March 2016 although medical cannabis was legalized later in November the same year.
As said earlier, there are certain medical conditions for which a physician can recommend cannabis treatment. Also, for consuming cannabis there are certain guidelines that we have already discussed.
Overall, medical cannabis in Florida was approved after experiments and trials also when the people have demanded it for the most. Ultimately, the people of the state are now getting benefits from this legislation change.
- Only adult patients are permitted to indulge in cannabis treatment activity except for those cases in which the minor is seriously ill.
- One must have a doctor’s prescription to access cannabis stuff from the dispensaries. There are over 200 state-wide dispensaries run by fourteen licensed companies. If you will be accessing cannabis from other sources and if cops caught you then it will be treated as illegal possession even though the person is legally prescribed.
- After March 2019, smokable cannabis is also allowed along with edibles and other sources for medical patients of adult age i.e., the patients must be 18 years or above.
Where to Buy Cannabis Seeds in Florida?
Though cannabis cultivation in Florida is illegal and even medical patients are not permitted to grow their own marijuana plants, possessing cannabis seeds might not trouble you. Also, we strongly recommend you to confirm and be secure by the local government laws.
As the authorities might catch you only when you will be growing cannabis seeds in your house, therefore, you can keep seeds until growing them is not officially permitted. Additionally, you can also look out for the best sources from which you can get the best cannabis seeds, and later on, after legalization, you can visit back for purchase.
As the local government is against cannabis cultivation, therefore, it will be hard to find cannabis seed sources in the region, and buying from the unknowns under the streets can lead you to high risk. Also, the quality of cannabis seeds is not worth your money. That is why online seed banks are the best option.
Don’t worry! We will be giving you the world’s top three cannabis seed banks that are highly recommended by other cannabis enthusiasts around the globe. Have a look:
Best Seed Banks For Florida
MSNL has a wide selection of different strains and covers almost every strain for different types of growers. Has multiple payment options, ships worldwide and contains only the best quality seeds in stock directly from the breeder. MSNL has a very positive market reputation.
ILGM is a one-stop destination for all of the cannabis requirements for U.S residents. This company ships instantly from a California warehouse. ILGM stocks hundreds of strains to choose from along with the best quality of strains. Has multiple payment ways and excellent customer support. Join The I Love Growing Marijuana Official Sub on Reddit for regular updates!
Crop King Seeds is the best in providing you world’s finest quality seeds at an affordable price. Regular offers and discounts are something that its buyers love the most. With a huge market reputation and 4+ ratings over Trustpilot, it is one of the reliable online stores in the cannabis market. Ships worldwide and has 24/7 chat support. Crop King Seeds these strains got reviews on SeedFinder with an average rating of 5.18 out of 10!
Future of Cannabis in Florida
Florida has a history of regular updates of cannabis laws. Although ultimately it relaxed the laws for medical patients. Well, considering the demand in the state, there were proposals for legalization and somehow medical cannabis was permitted along with decrease penalties for small possession in different counties.
Therefore, within the upcoming time, marijuana enthusiasts can witness some positive changes in the legislation. The future of cannabis in Florida is brighter!
Until then read our next guide here!